How to make simple peg butterflies
Butterflies are beautiful, such inspiring little creatures. We have loved growing our own butterflies from caterpillars. At the weekend, we let them go, it was amazing, holding them in your hand, looking at their beautiful wings, watching their amazing tongue drink the nectar on flowers then fly away free. We spent ages in the garden holding, watching and admiring our butterflies together.
As the last few weeks have all been about watching and nurturing our butterflies, we wanted to have a go at making some in a quick crafting session. We decided on making some simple peg butterflies. Here’s how we did it…
Simple peg butterflies
- Tissue paper (or other coloured paper)
- Pipe cleaners
- Things to decorate them with, e.g. stickers, gems, glitter, google eyes
How to make Simple peg butterflies
- Choose two colours of tissue paper, cut one the size you’d like the butterfly’s wings to be, then cut the other slightly smaller and lay it on top of the larger piece.
- Colour in the peg.
- Fold the tissue paper in a concertina, fan pattern, being careful not to tear the paper.
- Peg the middle of the fanned paper.
- Carefully pull out its wings.
- Decorate the butterfly as you like. We added a pipe cleaner for the antennae and googly eyes, but you can decorate in any creative way you wish.
There you have a very simple butterfly. They were easy to make and my girls enjoyed decorating them too. It was a lovely way to round off our butterfly adventures.